I am a huge fan of all things pumpkin, ESPECIALLY when incorporated into some sort of baked good . So when I saw these cupcakes pop on the Heather Christos Cooks blog, I absolutely HAD to give them a shot.
These were seriously phenomenal.
I learned a few things about myself and I certainly learned a few things about baking while making of these cupcakes:
1. These are probably best made the day of, or the day before. They seemed to get a little too moist and a little less appealing after a day or two. Next time I might try the pumpkin drying method I utilized in the Pumpkin Cheesecake recipe to get some of the excess moisture out…
2. She recommends a 22 minute baking time. With my oven, it was more like 23-24 or else they weren’t completely cooked.
3. I need to improve my pastry bag skills. My first attempt with the pastry bag looked sloppy, so I eventually went with the very technical method I call the “glob and spread” method.
4. It is absolutely CRUCIAL to SIFT the powdered sugar for the frosting before mixing with butter. I had two failed batches of grainy, gritty frosting before I realized what the heck I was doing wrong (I admit…I’m a novice in the frosting arena…)
5. Caramel buttercream frosting is insane.
6. The combination between the caramel buttercream (fairly sweet frosting) and the muted spice blend of the pumpkin cake is an amazing combination. Next time I might increase the spice level just a tad in the cake.
7. Man, I love fall recipes…
These were enjoyed by all. Pick up the recipe here!